My Blog List

Testing Clipmarks

in Blogging,Web 2.0
clipped from clipmarks.com
watch the clip-to-blog demo

blog it

Just testing a new application:

My main dilemma is I am a two finger typist only and I have a strong desire to share my finds from all over the internet.
I tend to believe my finds are also of interest to my readers.
A decent way of doing this is manually copying and pasting information into a WP post, edit it and then add the url to the original information location. That, however is very time consuming. Even editing a Carnival post takes a lot of time. I simply lack the time to do it that proper!
On the other hand I don’t want to become a “scraper”, someone who simply imports via an RSS import plugin without any original thought or pointer.

Thus far I have tried several approaches, like:

  • Sharing reads in my Google reader and putting a Google reader widget here in the side column. Recently I found out through a nifty Firefox Plugin, called firebug, that all widgets take waaay too much time to load. Hence I kicked all widgets from my side box including the Google one. Then I tried to import shares from my Google reader in a separate page…didn’t get it working.
  • Earlier, for some time I believed Tumblring (off course there are other services alike Tumblr) was the solution. It even seems possible to Tumblr from your own site, but digging into the necessary code took me too much time and I abandoned the project.
  • I have been using the Quickpress plugin for WordPress. Problem with that is you only can clip and paste one paragraph and can hardly edit it. Moreover Quickpress copies the original title of a post…mostly I don’t want to copy the title at all, because it doesn’t fit in this blog. Finally you always ought to make clear that you clipped something from someone else. Time permitting I solved it by adding b-quotes around somebody elses text.
  • The Press it plugin which is part of the WordPress suite does some things similar to Quickpress. At least you can save the clip as a draft post and then attack it from the WordPress editor. However, with my lateral approach of everything including blogging, I use to have a constant flow of about 80-100 draft posts lying around here withaout the attention they deserve. Once and for all I want to get rid of them.
  • Another approach could be using Stumble to it’s full extent: First stumble, later when you have time look back to what you stumbled and maie it into a decent post…However I am unable to fully grasp it and use it to it’s full possibilities.
  • Posting stuff as WIP (work in process) with the intention to later edit and augment it, like I am doing with this post. Actually no way to go at all, because before I edit it again something new comes up every time.
  • Then I discovered Amplify and experimented with it for a couple of weeks. I like the way you can order and edit your clips, the header and the way you can add your own thoughts. I simply put up the question if I could use it on my own blog and then one of the Amplify guys directed me to Clipmarks

Why I believe Clipmarks works for me:

  1. You can create your own header
  2. While clipping you can very precisely choose the order of your clippings. What you clip first comes first. Usually I want to show a photo or picture first and give comments thereafter.
  3. The whole clip is clearly visible as a clip. You don’t put your reader on the wrong foot presenting something as your own product.
  4. If I want to add more obeservations to a clip I can leave the clip as it is and simply add more stuff…the clip remains as it is, a clip
Let’s see how it works.
{ 3 comments }

Carnival of Cities – September 23, 2009

September 23, 2009 · 10 comments
in Travel Blog Carnival
Blog Carnival

carnival of cities

Rate:
0 ratings
I’m honored to host this September 23, 2009 edition of the Carnival of Cities, set up originally by millipede Sheila Scarborough on her Bootsn All Family Travel Logue blog in 2007. I say millipede, because Sheila doesn’t confine herself to just one blog, do read my interview with her.
The last edition was hosted at Wandering Educators and the next edition will be hosted at another blog of Sheila, Sheila’s Guide to the Good Stuff
The rules for this Carnival of Cities clearly state that the posts have to reflect just one city or one town of any importance. So unfortunately I had to delete a couple of submissions that did not comply. Sorry guys and girls.
  • Case Ernsting presents 5 Ways to Vacation at Home posted at FinditLocal411 Blog, saying, “Michiana (Northwest Indiana / Southwest Michigan) has plenty of offer and is more than just a “pass through” state. Tourism plays a heavy part of resident’s lives in this area of the United States. Here are 5 ways to enjoy Michiana whether your’re from the area or just looking for a few days of fun.”
  • Jason presents 1942: Bishop Gorazd of Prague posted at Executed Today, saying, “A bit of the history of Saints Cyril and Methodius Cathedral in Prague…”
  • Madeleine Begun Kane presents Happy Birthday To Me posted at Mad Kane’s Humor Blog, saying, “a birthday night on the town in New York City.”
  • Lydie Thomas presents Paris: free days at the Museums and Museum Pass information posted at Travel is more fun with kids.
  • Laura P Thomas presents Loving the Austin Scenes posted at LPT, saying, “Austin is often known for its music scene, but in this post I tried to convey the snippets of day-to-day life that come together to create a more robust scene.”
  • Jon presents The Jersey Boys Invade Washington, DC posted at The DC Traveler – Washington DC travel & tourism information, saying, “Coming to Washingotn, DC…Jersey Boys, the Broadway hit musical based on how four blue-collar boys from Jersey went from humble beginnings to music icons as Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.”
  • Shelley Seale presents Getting Lost and Finding Home in Marrakech's Winding Medina | Wandering Educators posted at Wandering Educators, saying, “Places to stay – and things to do – in Marrakech’s Medina”
  • Kathy Torline presents Labor Day Colorado Springs Balloon Classic, mark your calendars. posted at Colorado Springs Vintage Homes Blog.
  • Marina K. Villatoro presents Spotlight Costa Rica! Arenal Observatory Lodge – A Room With A View! posted at The Travel Expert(a), saying, “Stay at a hotel where you can see the Lava Flowing as you lay in bed from one of the top ten most active volcanoes in the world – Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica!”
  • Watch Me Eat presents Red & the Brooklyn Bridge posted at Watch Me Eat, saying, “Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge and eating at a restaurant in the South Street Seaport called Red.”
  • Jennifer presents Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center posted at Two Kids and a Map, saying, “If you are headed to Virginia Beach with children, you will want to put a stop at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center at the top of your list!”
  • Dominique King presents Midwest Guest: Photo Friday: Begin your road trip in Chicago, at the start of Historic Route 66 posted at Midwest Guest, saying, “I never expected to see the beginning of the historic Route 66 in downtown Chicago, but seeing the starting point of this iconic U.S. highway brought back some great memories for me.”
  • Bridget Smith presents Photo Friday: Seattle Surprises posted at Family Adventure Guidebooks, saying, “A trip to Seattle holds plenty of surpises!”
  • Stephanie presents How to see Budapest for Almost Nothing: 6 Cheap Things to Do (and 1 Splurge) posted at Twenty-Something Travel, saying, “An article about free or very cheap things to do in Budapest.”
  • Vera Marie Badertscher presents Spenser’s Boston, A Mystery Tour posted at A Travelers’ Library.
  • Glennia presents Napa Valley for Kids: What to Do (and Not Do) posted at The Silent I, saying, “Review of popular kid-friendly tourist attractions in Napa Valley, California.”
  • Karen Bryan presents Book Review: Historic Walking Guides Edinburgh by Andy Hayes posted at Europe A La Carte Blog, saying, “My review of Andy Hayes’ book Historic Walking Guide Edinburgh.”
  • Tim Leffel presents Cheap Travel USA – Albuquerque posted at Tim Leffel’s Cheapest Destinations, saying, “One of the best travel bargains in America – Albuquerque, New Mexico.”
  • Beth Blair presents My Favorite Tucson Attractions And More posted at The Vacation Gals – Family travel, girlfriend getaways, romantic getaways, destinations, things to do, travel tips.
  • Victoria Wallop presents And now for a short history lesson posted at It’s a small world after all, saying, “A family trip to the Tower of London”
  • BW presents Paseo de La Princesa in Old San Juan posted at Visit The Coqui, saying, “A tree lined promenade with great views of the fortified city walls and the San Juan Bay”
  • Tony Alexander presents Road Trip: Nagaoka City, Niigata posted at The Soul of Japan, saying, “Travel, japan,”
  • goyestoeverything.com presents Chinatown posted at goyestoeverything.com Toronto.

A question to all of you:

Do you know in which city I took this Merry Go Round photo?
Merry-Go-Round-_MG_1109

Conclusion

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of
carnival of cities using our carnival submission form.
Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.
Technorati tags: carnival of cities, and blog carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

All time Popular Posts





Dg3