My Blog List

How to fail to deliver a great hotel e-newsletter

From time to time, I receive hotels newsletters in my email inbox that give me some updates about their brand, their hotels development or simply their latest offers.
The newsletter is usually something that us consumers choose to receive because we are keen to be informed about different topics.
Having said that, newsletters come into our inbox among a lot of other emails that we need to go through, filter, read and respond. The flow of emails in the last 10 years has been increased dramatically and therefore hoteliers and other businesses need to understand that newsletters should be different to what they uses to send when email wasn't such a problem in our daily life.
This week, I have received this newsletter from the UK hotel group English Rose Hotels. But I could have picked other groups as well who are making the same mistakes.
Have a look at it and see what's wrong with this email.


Rule #1: Try to personalize the email as much as possible. There is no greetings. This email is not addressed to me. It is totally impersonal.
Rule #2: Before you ask me to book a hotel, tell more about your product. Don't shout at me your offers in the first place.  Get me hooked to the idea to spend a weekend with your hotel is an offer I can't decline.
Rule #3: Make sure your email is also available on the browser. Check all the links that they are pointing to the right URL. All links to this newsletter go to a dead URL with the message 404 Not Found. What a lost opportunity to drive traffic to your hotel website!
Rule #4: Relevancy. Relevancy. Relevancy. One of the biggest mistakes hoteliers do in their e-newsletter strategy is to send the same email to everyone. It is time that you take CRM seriously and you adapt your communication accordingly to different segmentation of your customer base. You don't send the same message to a young couple vs. a family vs. a retired couple.
Rule #5: Don't trick your customers with a smart way (not) to show your prices. I don't care about about the price per person. I want to know the price for my stay. So don't show me it is going to cost me £149 per person. Show to me it is going to cost me £298 for the weekend including dinner for one evening and breakfast for 2 days.
Rule #6: If you want to display your email address, don't send me your generic info@ email address where my comunication will be lost among other emails. Make sure you create a different email address for the campaign or send me the reservation email address like reservations@
Rule #7: E-newsletters are a great way to promote your Social Media channels like Twitter or Facebook. But they are totally a waste of my time if these actions are not linked to the websites you are referring to. Once again, make sure your links are live and working.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

All time Popular Posts





Dg3