My Blog List

Kiran Rao said I’m her God in music: Rashid Khan


For Ustad Rashid Khan, this New Year eve concert was surely one with a difference. Firstly, it was a concert that Aamir Khan and Kiran Rao had wanted to attend.
Secondly, it was also an occasion for him to initiate Bollywood to Indian classical music. If Khan's reaction is anything to go by, he is happy with the result.

Says Khan, who returned to Kolkata on Sunday, "Prasoon Joshi has studied classical music and he hosted this concert at his place. Aamir is fond of my music and he came by along with Kiran. Both were visibly moved. Kiran came up to me and narrated an incident when she was a student of St Xavier's College in Mumbai and hadn't got tickets to my show. She remembered those days when she literally pleaded with the cops to allow her to enter the venue and hear me. Kiran was extremely happy with Saturday's concert. She told me that I'm her God in music. After the concert got over, she left home early because she had to attend to her son. Aamir stayed on."

Ask Khan what he sang and he says, "I followed my usual style of rendition. Kheyal, thumri and dadra - that's what I performed. What was nice was that there were so many directors from Bollywood who had never frequented classical shows but wanted to hear more such concerts after listening to my performance on Saturday. Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra was there. So were Sudhir Mishra and Prakash Jha. Actor Atul Kulkarni, who has a taste in classical music, spoke to me at length after the programme was over. Talat bhai ( Talat Aziz) also came by."

So, does this concert translate into Khan lending his voice to more Bollywood number in future? "There could be more projects. Prakash Jha told me that he would want me to sing for his film. I have no idea which film he was talking about," says the "Aayoge jab tum sajna" singer.

What about his recent peace initiative album ("Sound of Peace") with Amitabh Bachchan that has been dedicated to the victims of the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai? For those not in the loop, the Big B had praised Rashid's voice as one with "velvet tones" after having worked with the maestro for this album. Khan smiles and says, " I recently met up with Amitabh Bachchan for this project. He likes my music. We are supposed to do a programme in Mumbai soon. Unfortunately, my dates are an issue. Let's see how things shape up."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

All time Popular Posts





Dg3