My Blog List

Rohan Sippy: 'Inspired by my dad'

Mumbai, Dec. 10 -- Rohan Sippy's debut musical, Love And ll That Jazz, will premiere in Mumbai today. It was the urge to "take a creative break" that prompted the Dum Maaro Dum (2011) director to take this adventurous plunge. He recalls how his father Ramesh Sippy had also taken a break from films at the peak of his career to dabble in television (Buniyaad, 1987) in the '80s.

"I am hugely inspired by my dad. He is always supportive of my creative pursuits because he has always been doing the same."

Rohan grew up sitting on jamming sessions that his father, Shammi Kapoor and Shashi Kapoor used to have at their home. "I have got lots of photographs from that era when mom and dad used to go to jazz bars. The style of that time was magical. Dad even got one of the famous jazz singers Sebastian Coutinho to work with Shankar Jaikishen, who made music for some of his films," says Rohan, who's films in the past have been applauded for their soundtrack.

Admitting that he's had the good fortune to work with artistes like Shankar Ehsaan Loy, Vishal Shekhar and Pritam in his films, Rohan says he picked Ranjit Barot for his musical, to inject the much-needed '70s feel. Shahana Goswami, Ali Fazal and Rahul Dev are also part of the play that has been choreographed by Terence Lewis.

Rohan hopes to adapt this play into a film if he can come up with a promising script some day. He says, "Others are already making films like Bombay Velvet and Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai sequel that are based in that era. There is so much rich content from that era. If I am able to develop something around those years and add that to my play, I would love for it to translate into my next film."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

All time Popular Posts





Dg3